Have you ever wondered if you should you hire local moving companies or move on your own?
For long distance transfers, working with long distance movers is always a good idea. But when you need to move just a few blocks away, is it worth hiring local moving companies ?
For people who only have a few boxes to carry, hiring professional movers may seem pointless. But if furniture, heavy items or fragile belongings come into play, it might be a good idea to think twice before deciding to move on your own.
If you can’t decide whether to move by yourself or work with local moving companies, here’s a list of pros and cons to take into consideration.
Advantages of hiring local moving companies
1. The heavy lifting is done by professionals. When you hire movers to help you relocate, you don’t need to worry about doing any heavy lifting. Furniture and other heavy belongings will be handled with care by trained professionals.
2. Local moving companies work fast and efficient. Expert movers have the necessary experience to work fast and efficient. They already know what they have to do and are trained to work efficient as a team.
3. Hiring professional movers saves you time. A team of professionals will arrive on schedule and won’t waste any time when it comes to transporting your furniture down the stairs or loading the moving truck just the right way to make everything fit.
4. A team of movers always comes prepared. Local moving companies can provide everything you need for the move. From packing materials to the right sized truck, you won’t have to worry about anything.
5. All belongings are insured with local moving companies. Licensed local moving companies need to have insurance. This guarantees your belongings will be handled with care and you can be sure any damages will be paid for.
Disadvantages of working with a local moving company
1. Local moving companies cost money. Hiring professional movers doesn’t come for free. Although there are way you can save, like downsizing before a big move, you still need to pay your team of movers for their time and expertise.
2. You have to trust your belongings with strangers. Your possessions are insured with a licensed moving company, but you’d still need to be OK with the though of strangers handling your items during the move.
3. Your possessions could get damaged. Insurance doesn’t guarantee your belongings will be 100% safe. At times, even experienced movers can make mistakes and damage your items nonetheless.
4. Looking for a local moving company takes time. Find the best moving company quotes and avoid getting scammed! You’d have to put in some serious time and do some research, but it’s worth it.
5. You’re not in complete control over the move. If you need to be in total control of the move, know that hiring local moving companies implies letting the team of professionals decide the way your belongings will be handled. This can be stressful for people who’re not comfortable trusting a stranger.