If you have decided to move, then you have a lot on your plate. Relocation is not an easy task since you should be well prepared in order to avoid stress and problems. However, if you decide to take your furniture with you, then you need to prepare accordingly. You do not want to damage any of the pieces of furniture you own. For this reason, you should know how to prepare wooden furniture for transport. That is why you will find here all the important tips regarding this process of preparation.
Start on time to prepare wooden furniture for transportPreparation for the move starts a few weeks in advance. For example, if you are moving to Kihei, then you should start your moving preparations on time. Additionally, it is important to choose the date of your relocations. Summer is usually the busiest season for the moving companies. For this reason, most good moving companies are all booked out. When you want to move your wooden furniture, it is best to choose reliable movers in order to avoid any potential damages. Of course, you can try to do it on your own, but if you do not have relevant previous experience, it is wise to leave the job to the professionals. However, there is something you can do, you can prepare wooden furniture for transportation.
Packing suppliesBefore you start to prepare wooden furniture for transport, you should get all the necessary packing supplies. For easier navigation, create a packing supplies checklist. This way, you will have everything in writing, and you can check the supply once you buy it. As for packing supplies, you will be using, here is a list for you.
- Many sturdy cardboard boxes – for smaller parts
- Sealable plastic bags – also for smaller parts
- Bubble wrap - for protection
- Packing tape – to secure the bubble wrap, use the quality packing tape in order to avoid leaving marks on your furniture
- Labels – you should know what is what for better organization
- Tools – for disassembling the larger pieces
- Protection clothes and cloves for you
Clean it firstCleaning your furniture is the first thing you should do when you start to prepare wooden furniture for transport. You do not have to give them the thorough scrub, a few quick movements with a soft cloth are more than sufficient. You will clean them again after you move to your new home. Make sure to clean and dust it before the transportation. Dust or dirt can damage or scratch your furniture. For this reason, cleaning is more like a precautionary step.
Disassemble Your Furniture for Easy TransportSince most wooden furniture is quite big and heavy, you should disassemble them. Helpful tip: take photos as you are disassembling your furniture in case you forget how to put them back together. Additionally, you can consult a manual or your moving company if you are in doubt.
- Wooden bed frame – you should dismantle the headboard first, then the rest of the frame. If it has a storage frame, remove all the contents, and pack the drawers separately.
- Wardrobe/Dresser – remove clothes and other items you have in there as well as drawers if possible. If your wooden dresser has doors made of glass, then you should remove them too.
- Tables – for the large tables, remove legs, since it will get in the way when you transport them.
- Smaller parts such as screws, nuts, bolts, and so on, you should place in a plastic bag, then label them.